7.13.2008

Sunday Hymn - O Love That Will Not Let Me Go

This Saturday was the hardest Saturday of the summer for me. I had one kid this week (because of unknown issues, I can't post his name or picture) that was just... hard to let go. Because of his home situation, he has been in children's home after children's home for the past 5 years. Even though he sees his mother and brothers from time to time, because of the family history, he hasn't been able to live with them. Maybe it's for the better, maybe it's not, but the point is, he doesn't really have a home.

When he left today, we took a long walk from the play area to his car, and he just began to weep. "I don't want to go. I don't want to go." he repeated. He hugged each of us (his counselors) fiercely. I told him that "no matter what, that here he is loved and here he has a home." Weeping, he got into the car. And, weeping, we waved him off. I love every one of my campers, but when you get one who you know is going back into a poisonous situation, it makes the parting all the harder. But even though we can't keep them, I'm comforted knowing that there is a God who loves them, no matter what.

O Love that will not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in thee;
I give thee back the life I owe,
That in thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be.

O Light that followest all my way,
I yield my flickering torch to thee;
My heart restores its borrowed ray,
That in thy sunshine's blaze its day
May brighter, fairer be.

O Joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain,
That morn shall tearless be.

O Cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from thee;
I lay in dust life's glory dead,
And from the ground there blossoms red
Life that shall endless be.

No comments: